A Magtopressor™ is built onto a Magtor Oscillator Drive where chambers are found on both sides of the moving part (the “application side”) resulting in a fully linear double acting compressor.
Compression chambers are mounted on both sides of the oscillating drive and their sizing depends on target application requirements (target flow and pressure) and on load type:
- symmetric load: both compression chambers and plungers are identical allowing the target compression work to be split between the forward and return strokes
- asymmetric load: compression chambers and plungers are different allowing two single stage compressions with different outputs or a double stage compression setup to increase output pressure
The Air Magtopressor™ Proof of Concept uses two identical compression chambers, one connected to each side of a Magtor Oscillator Drive, to achieve single stage air compression.
The outputs of both chambers are merged into a single high-flow output. Such a setup therefore provides two high-pressure pumping outputs over a single full oscillation of the moving part.
The Air Magtopressor™ Proof of Concept, is compact, lubrication and bearing-free, with variable displacement potential and with the only contact point being between the compression chamber and each piston.
- Direct linear drive: linear power needed to do compression work is directly available and the force profile over the displacement perfectly fits a compression profile. As a result, Magtopressor™ operates at a considerably higher efficiency level compared to existing technology
- Low start-up power: in addition to having no dedicated start winding or electrical circuitry, it does not consume more to start than to operate: “start it when you need it”
- Smooth integration: does not require a redesign of compression and pump systems and can substitute for the “reciprocating drive side” of existing compressor products or, conversely, one can connect existing piston/pump equipment directly to the Magtor Linear Drive
- Better end products: its intelligent control can be tuned to better fit applications’ requirements: for example it enables a more efficient temperature control of cooling applications
- Fewer parts, less complexity: although a high technology product, it comes with fewer parts and less complexity, allowing smaller production lines, decreased manufacturing and logistics costs and easier maintenance